How to Remove and Modify Watermarks in MKV and MP4 Files

Hi all,

This is my first post asking for help. I would like to know how to remove watermarks from MKV or MP4 files and how to change or add them if needed. I have seen this option used in many movies, and the watermark is always visible, which I find irritating when watching videos. Therefore, I need your assistance.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome!

If they’re encoded into the video, MKVToolNix cannot help you as it’s not a video encoder. In that case it’s generally impossible to remove them & restore the original content completely. There are filters that can blur the section where text appears, but that section would still look blurred. Again, this would require re-encoding; a task MKVToolNix cannot help you with.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Oh, I thought it was created by MKVToolNix. I wish this facility was added in MKVToolNix in the future, just like changes to track, subtitle, and audio name changes are possible.

If the watermark is nothing more than a separate track, then you can use MKVToolNix to remove the separate track.

If, however, the watermark is part of the video track (encoded with it), then there’s nothing you can really do about it. Think about it like cooking a soup. You cook this delicious soup, but at the end it’s still a bit bland. You decide to add some salt to it & accidentally overdo it. Now the soup tastes too salty. You cannot get the salt out again, though, as it has dissolved into the soup; there’s no way to grab each salt crystal & yank it out again.

This isn’t a question of will, it’s a question of technical limiations.